We stay on the hardwood with the men's basketball team as we continue our look back at the 2016-17 season for Prince George's Community College with the series "Through Owl Eyes." After we reveal all of the recaps, fans will have the opportunity to vote for the Top Moment of the 2016-17 Prince George's Athletics season.
Through Owl Eyes Schedule
Through Owl Eyes: Men's Soccer
Through Owl Eyes: Women's Basketball
Through Owl Eyes: Men's Basketball
Through Owl Eyes: Track And Field - Wednesday, July 26
Through Owl Eyes: Baseball - Thursday, July 27
Round of 16 - Tuesday, August 1-Wednesday, August 2
Topflight 8 - Thursday, August 3-Friday, August 4
The Owl Four - Monday, August 7-Tuesday, August 8
Battle Of The Top Perch - Wednesday, August 9-Friday, August 11
Men's Basketball Starting Five
- Prince George's got off to a hot start under first-year head coach Brian Johnson, winning seven of its first eight games. The lone loss in that stretch came in overtime.
- The Owls posted five winning streaks on the season including two four-game winning streaks and a six-game winning streak.
- The squad registered three wins against National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I programs on the year, including a 70-68 win against Harford on February 18 and a 63-62 victory on February 19 to claim the Maryland Junior College Athletic Conference Tournament title for the first time since 1981. Johnson Ogunyoye scored in the lane with 43 seconds left against Harford to give the Owls the lead for good in the semifinals win. Alex Morales scored the decisive basket in the victory against Baltimore City with six seconds left in the game.
- Powered by 17 points by Kennith Ford and 16 from Morales, Prince George's defeated Westmoreland County on February 25 in the NJCAA Division III Region XX Semifinals. The Owls then lost in overtime to Montgomery in the championship game.
- Alex Morales was named an NJCAA Division III Honorable Mention All-American.
Men's Basketball By The Stats
- Prince George's had a player reach double figures in points 98 times this season including 22 games with 20 points or more. The Owls also had 25 double-figure rebound performances.
- The Owls went 18-3 when scoring 75 points or more in a contest. The squad also posted a 12-1 record when scoring 80 points or more in a game.
- Prince George's posted a season-high 106 points against Howard on January 25.
- Mykal Johnson paced the team with 17.1 points and 3.4 rebounds per game. He posted double-figures in 26 tilts this season including a team-high 36 points against Howard.
- Alex Morales paced the team with 9.9 rebounds per game while ranking second with 13.8 points per game. Morales hauled in double figures in rebounds 14 times including a career-high 20 boards against Navy JV on December 5.
Men's Basketball Top Moments
- Prince George's wins the Maryland JUCO championship for first time since 1981
- The Owls start the season 7-1
- Alex Morales named an NJCAA Division III Honorable Mention All-American